Organization of Biological Field Stations Website
In 2010, I managed recovery and migration of the OBFS website to a membership management service. In 2013, I served again as Project Manager to build and manage an upgrade of the OBFS site.
OBFS wanted to update the design to make the content more dynamic (within the constraints of the membership software provider). They also wanted to make the forms and other supporting documentation clearer, and improve directory services.
- Created RSS feeds to run on front and sidebar widgets
- Identified new graphics for front page and other page elements
- Moved member login to a more visible location
- Re-arranged content, menus, and directories for better ease of navigation
- Created new content for About, Join, and other pages requiring a call to action
- Created new Help documentation
- Front page slideshow with automatically updating calendar and news feed widgets
- Sidebar widgets with automatically updating calendar and news feed widgets
- Membership map is created through BatchGeo, which has Ajax search capability.
The Membership management system that OBFS uses does not have good OG (Open Graph) support, nor universal support for clean URLS. They hope that the vendor will update their Joomla system build soon with those features.